Tuesday, June 03, 2008

This Old House


My Barn, originally uploaded by Sabine Dukes.


I got my car insurance renewal paperwork in the mail the other day, and it said I qualify for a new discount because I have 25 years of driving experience.

25 years?

I flipped the letter around to make certain it really was addressed to me.

Then I got on the 10key just to be extra sure.

41-25 = 16

I am too young to have 25 years experience doing anything. I'm not even really an adult yet.

I am not usually one to be hung up on age, and mostly its not something I think about. And 41 really is still young.

But sometimes I am reminded in ways I'd rather not be reminded. Like the other day I went to get my eyebrows waxed. And I am like most of you bike racer types, getting my eyebrows waxed is not high on the priority list and its probably been a few years since the last one.

So I am laying on the table and the estetician is putting the wax on (this is the part before the part that hurts). I notice that she is also putting the wax waaaay up on my forehead. Not just my brow, but my forehead. Maybe she's thorough, I think. Or maybe....maybe I have brows on my forehead.

I asked myself out loud "since when did my eyebrows start growing out of my forehead?" And the estetician sweetly responds that its normal for that to happen as we age.

So there's that. Brittle bones and eyebrows on our foreheads.

14 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, June 03, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

I say...have a glass of wine.

 
At 5:52 PM, June 03, 2008, Blogger Denise said...

I just had some waxing done that hurts waaaaaay worse than eyebrows ever will.....I will leave it at that.

 
At 7:42 PM, June 03, 2008, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

what's wrong with tweezers???

I love that barn pic...

 
At 8:17 PM, June 03, 2008, Blogger marscat said...

i've got eyebrows all over my forehead.

 
At 9:57 PM, June 03, 2008, Blogger ~ lauren said...

wax and tweezers?! no way jose'.

 
At 8:03 AM, June 04, 2008, Blogger jen said...

i'm waaaay too wussy to be waxing anything.

i did have a salon chick ask me if i dyed my hair. she said she didn't see any gray. apparently, i looked old to her...

 
At 10:04 AM, June 04, 2008, Blogger chatterbox said...

I still get weirded out when my "hip-young-late-20s" friends that I met when I was 20 sit around talking about menopause at our gatherings. Granted, it's been like 13 years now....

Oh, and no need to worry until you get eyebrows growing out of your ears!

 
At 10:44 AM, June 04, 2008, Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

You forgot changes in eyesight. That is when it hit me, when the optometrist told me that far-sighted folks, like me, tend to start having vision issues when they get to 40. Waaaah.

But you showed last night that you can still kick some rear! Nice solo off the front; we were cheering for it succeed.

 
At 1:54 PM, June 04, 2008, Blogger renevatio said...

There are quite a few things about aging I'm not particularly fond of...hair management being near the top of the list...might you share some thoughts on your camera and photo editing software?

 
At 2:15 PM, June 04, 2008, Blogger Velo Bella said...

renevatio

I have an Olympus 510. Its small and inexpensive (as compared to most DSLRs) and so it is almost always with me. Cuz thats the real secret to photography...lots of lots of pictures.

I use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop Elements for post processing. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. I usually tweak with exposure, curves, color, and luminousity/saturation. I also do either exposure blending or dodging and burning.

I sometimes explain my process on my pics if I have time and if I remember what it was I did in the first place! Just clickie on some of them in flickr to see.

Hope that helps. I love yapping about photo stuff, so love the questions.

 
At 4:16 PM, June 04, 2008, Blogger renevatio said...

Thanks Sabine...Elements was on my short list. Got the point on lots-o-pics...now if I could just perfect my workin the feedzone while taking pictures style...

Cheers,
Russ

 
At 7:09 AM, June 05, 2008, Blogger X Bunny said...

yeah, the eye doctor told me the gel inside my eyes was drying up cuz i was getting older

you think he coulda phrased it a little better

oh, and that was 9 years ago....

 
At 3:15 PM, June 05, 2008, Blogger Que said...

For photo editing nothing I've found beats GIMP. And it is free. www.gimp.org Check it out!

 
At 9:13 AM, June 30, 2008, Blogger Fit Mommy said...

Funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

>